Tuesday, January 5, 2010

OpenSource IP-PBX ( VoIP Server Setup)

Introductions:
Why VoIP?
The traditional PSTN
To PSTN to VoIP
The VoIP advantage-1
The OpenSource Asterisk VoIP advantage-2
How to Do it yourself

Requirements:
2 units of at least 800Mhz PC (P4 or P3)
1 switch/hub
3 RJ45 cable
IP Phones
Xlite-Softphone (windows)
Kphone-Softphone( linux)

Scenario:
Lab setup
Office Setup
Home Setup
Building or commercial setup.

Detail() Asterisk card: 1 FXO(red) and 1 FXS(green)


Detail()Inserting an Asterisk card in a PCI slot


Detail()Fixing an Asterisk card in a PCI slot


Detail() On boarding Asterisk card inside a VoIP Server


Detail()A picture of VoIP Training work shop

Summary:


Conclusions:

I could not believe that a commercial branded model PBX(with addons and features) cost hundred of thousand pesos or could reach to half a million pesos.But, because of an opensource soft PBX ,engineers and common users may have now a wise options to learn and use the less cost IP Telephony technology.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Folks,

    I am still continuing documenting this blog/article hope to hear some suggestions from a reader as I am doing this with my spare time.Hoping that I could share a lot deploying opensource SoftPBX.

    Thanks

    E^3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get a lot of spare time.

    Also, would it be possible phone number assigned by PLDT be able to call those VoIP softphones and vice versa?

    P.S. I cannot wait to read your documentary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Adrivan,

    Yes, Its possible for a PLDT assigned number to be used in VoIP.
    Bytheway, may I know what VoIP Gateway you are using for the said set up?

    Maybe I could post PSTN to VoIP as another second topic .

    Thanks

    E^3

    ReplyDelete